The walk outside today in our hiking garb was relaxed and springlike. It was about 28 degrees, almost 80 degrees warmer than a week ago and the air smelled really fresh- minimal wood smoke and fresh water.
I just got back from the Winter Conference in Anchorage organized by DEED (Department of Education and Early Development). If you didn't get to go (but wanted to) you can upload all the powerpoints from the presentations on the DEED website, conference link some time next week. I paid my own way which bought me the license to listen without taking notes and to schmooze. I met so many people that I know, but haven't seen in years, including Sheryl Weinberg from SERRC, Joe Slats from Yup'iit and Chris Lucas from NWArctic. Also, lots and lots of Fairbanks people....teachers, administrators, MCC people, mentors and former mentors, superintendents. We were all hearing some hopeful messages- teachers can be looking at the broader picture of education again- not just testing- to develop analytical and critical thinking skills. I'll post some good resources that I found out about for RTI (response to intervention) and from guest speakers on my teacher hint of the week. Bob Williams, the rock star and Colony High School math teacher extraordinaire and Alaska Teacher of the Year gave a great talk, punctuated with magic trick and humor.
Anchorage was icy and windy, but Sandy and I managed to get to the Bear's Tooth for dinner and Title Wave books and REI. I picked up some Sealskinz waterproof socks for our hike.
Our iPhone has gone out- we can't make or receive calls. Paul has invested about 2 hours on the phone trying to get it fixed. Our walk took us to the AT&T office ("sorry, I can't help you") and to the Safeway for lunch (note the classy new lunch choices) and for buying groceries. About 5 snowmachines were on the "no motorized vehicles" bikepath....fortunately going slowly. Paul vented his spleen at the last one- a grinning teen who barely slowed down to get his butt whipped. Fortunately, Paul can throw his voice a long way when he is motivated, so the young man will probably have bruises from the verbal slings and arrows.
On Tuesday, Susan and I will be going to the Roundup Steak House for breakfast and to listen to the Inauguration Speech. Mr. Obama's 10 year old daughter told him, "It better be good!" so he's under the microscope. I hope he is ushering in an era of intellectualism, where learning is an asset and where real men ask the advice of others who are experts in the science of the issues instead of deciding by gosh and by golly. The idea that folksy is fun stops being interesting when
businesses close, the stock market dumps our savings and my former students are dying in Iraq.
Shoutout to Chris, a runner up to the Alaska Teacher of the Year, Eternal Prom Queen of Fairbanks and reader of my blog. Still more proof that blog readers are the best. Get out of my blog and into your own, Chris- you always have something to say!
Still more progress on our hike, we transfered our magazine addresses to Erin and Ron- enjoy the Games and the AT Journal while we're gone. You can access our Appalachian Trail journal by clicking on the map in the top right of this blog. Right now, it's not so interesting, but that's where we will post our progress.
On our walk, we noticed evidence of a fire in our neighborhood. How sad! The house seemed totalled...windows are doors are flapping open and the roof is torn up. I'm not sure the cause, but wood fires and unclean chimneys are often the culprits.
Our deck deep freeze has begun to melt- this young squirrel was discovered with his pesky little face into the last of Paul's birthday cake. I guess the party's over.
No comments:
Post a Comment